OSJ

OSJ
The Crest of the Knights Hospitallers, The Sovereign Order of St. John of Jerusalem, Knights of Malta, The Ecumenical Order.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Asia 2010 "Reflections"

   I was in Singapore at the time, riding in a taxi to the place that we were staying at, and I was thinking again “How did I get here, what choice did I make in life that brought me to this place?” so I started thinking about past dreams and choices, and ended up just having some fun life flashbacks as we were driving down the road. The following is an exact recall of said flashbacks.

   I was remembering my childhood vividly in California, remembering in private school when the Super Nintendo came out and how all the kids my age were talking about yoshi 

(The cute baby green dinosaur) … and how clueless I was to what they were talking about, I felt somewhat unprivileged at the moment, but then realized I could care less. I am way more important than some stupid piece of metal, I walked away from them, looking at the scenery outside thinking to myself "What defines who I am?"

***I was startled as the car I was in slammed on the brakes to avoid the 2 motorcycles that had cut him off. The driver started saying words in a foreign language, I could tell he was slightly upset.

   I closed my eyes again, remembering a single dream I had as a child, 
when I walked up in the woods at the age of 9, it was so incredibly peaceful. No one was outside and there was a cold but fresh air out. I walked back home and started to think of a turtle shell, and in that moment the sun finally rose in all of it’s magnificence, the clouds parting in reverence. The sun was actually God Himself, and Jesus was rotating around Him slowly like a planet. I felt so at peace, knowing everything was going to be ok. I saw Jesus smile at me personally.

***I was startled at the knocking of my window at a homeless, lazy-eyed woman, poorly dressed with a sad stare that was a knife to the heart. She was begging for money shortly after. I was told to “Never give them money” otherwise I would have in that moment, it felt like she had never experienced what true love and freedom were like.


   Again, I closed my eyes to see myself laying in the back of my parents car, traveling through Nevada as we were moving to Montana. Through the rainstorm I was looking at the landscape appreciating Gods creativity, the way he makes things, and appreciating my soon-to-be sister-in-law, Tamara. Traveling from highway to interstate, hotel to motel, the sunrises and sunsets. Waking up at 11 years old to the sunrise in a foreign town I would probably never see again; It’s no wonder I love to travel.

***I opened my eyes to see a landscape lit up with the lights of Singapore economy, large buildings and newly created structures screaming for tourists. The expensive attractions and beautiful places to visit… I quickly realized that there was no middle class here… Just the Poor and the Rich.

   I closed my eyes again, instantly seeing myself at 15 sitting in a tree with Jeret, watching the sunset, listening to the grass and the branches being influenced by the evening breeze. The last rays of the sun glimmering off the creek near by, and as the sun sets, someone said in near poetic tone “Today was a good day”. As the mountains ate the summer sun, we make our way back home. Crossing the slender bridge that would only hold young teenagers anyway, dodging cow poop and throwing rocks off a cliff before actually going back home.

***I freak out and grab whatever I can as the driver honks the horn and dodges through traffic, missing by inches other cars and motorcycles carrying families of 5 or less. Some of them looking at us and doing double takes, not believing that we were there. I just smile as we keep dodging traffic, or weaving in and out of a highway fatality as I like to say.

   I still cant figure out how I got here, why I choose to do the right thing, why I want more of God, and why yet some others don’t care. I cant figure out how I got to be a Knight, how I got to be a pastor, how I was impressioned to live this incredible, adventurous lifestyle. How do I show people what I already know? How do I throw people the same seed I caught onto as a kid?



I started a personal journal in the same looks as the one found in the movies "Indiana Jones", specifically the film "The Last Crusade". This journal is set to journal my own personal nuggets and revelations regarding my relationship with God. I have noticed that after reading the bible and applying scripture to every day life, you begin to see puzzle pieces fit together and form something completely new that you never saw before. This Journey called "Christianity" is "Following Christ" but if we don't do that, were just people "Going to church"

Start your Journey... I would give you hints on how I started, but I have no idea when it began, I know it's all individually tailored to the person, and if you follow through with it, hear this... You will be shaken, you will be under attack in many ways you never thought possible, working through those is evidence you are headed in the right direction.

Start your journey.

No comments: