OSJ

OSJ
The Crest of the Knights Hospitallers, The Sovereign Order of St. John of Jerusalem, Knights of Malta, The Ecumenical Order.

Sunday, March 13, 2011

LIFE UPDATE (Colorado)

(Montana river in summer, not me)
It really wasn't until I left the retirement capitol of the US (Montana) until I realized how laid back it is there, how every day is easy, and one of the hardest things for me to plan and execute was playing the guitar as the sun was setting every summer evening. Ministry was flowing, responsibilities were diminished and everyone was happy where they were at... it was the perfect place for being stagnant in every aspect of life, unless your retired that is, then it's perfect.

I really got used to floating the creek by my parents house, going to visit friends, going on ministry trips, praying for people, having accountability partners, bible studies, canoe trips, bowling ally adventures, hiking trips, mountain climbing, computer gaming, volunteering, you name it, it was a blast, especially with the other 3 people my age! but little did I know I was taking the lifestyle of a retired 20 year old for granted. From the age of 11 I grew up with low expectations, and it just became a lifestyle... It didn't seem wrong at all. But little did I know I was made for so much more. I retired at age 11 and am now in the most crazy time of my life in full time ministry.

Once I moved to Colorado, the old saying passed through my head that was told to me from my pastor in bible college, "You can do anything for a short time" basically meaning that God is our strength, and we have the strength to persevere through the toughest conditions and situations life can throw at us. Little did I know the magnitude of the workload, the needed tight structure, the team that managed it so well, and the vision they all have are amazing, they have built this ministry to be a international resource for everyone, and at one point as the blood dripped and sweat poured, I quietly whispered to myself "You can do anything for a short time" and go to bed every night saying "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" and quickly fall asleep.

Yea, this lifestyle is crazy and unlike anything normal I have ever experienced, but so was Montana, in a very different way.

It's amazing to see every part of the team work and function in their own unique gifts and talents, giving their lives to this passion and purpose. Everyone is SO unique, it's beautiful to see everyone flow together and work as a unit. Obviously, sometime's there's hiccups and areas to grow, but in the end, everyone learns and grows together as a team and lives around the world are changed, literally.

Hope is restored to a parent who doesn't know what to do, how to talk to their kids, or what information to give. Teenagers realize what's going on in their life, make educated decisions for their future, and decide a better way to live... Just because team in Colorado cares about every person. 14 people touching hundreds of thousands of lives over the career spanning the life of the ministry. Imagine what would happen if a church of over 14 decided to live for others? to reach into the circle of influence that they have around them instead of wanting people to come to their aid. You don't need to look around the world to touch lives, you just need to reach out to those who are IN your life, and be faithful in the little things, knowing that those annoying people in your life are there to strengthen you. Love the unloved, say hi to people you don't know. Live life to the fullest, every day.

So I live from day to day, not knowing what's next on my task list, but knowing for sure well that I'm going to be doing it for God and the leaders He placed in my life. It's my choice to do my best, and I will everytime, even if it means sleeping in my clothes, skipping breakfast, missing a shower, working 20 hours a day, with few days off. Working harder than I ever have in my life is not a point of "Ohhh poor Tim" It's a challenge to myself to do hard things and impact the world for the better, and ask you, the reader...

Who's lives will you touch today?

No comments: