OSJ

OSJ
The Crest of the Knights Hospitallers, The Sovereign Order of St. John of Jerusalem, Knights of Malta, The Ecumenical Order.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Traveling to Bintan Island.

   My brain hit record once the incredibly dank odor of “disgusting unclean restroom” hit my nose. I quickly finished my business and walked toward the vessel that was going to take all of us to the next ministry opportunity. As we all got our passports stamped yet again, we left to our transport boat that made birth in Singapore and our destination was Bintan Island.

   The boat was big and clean, with hardly anyone taking this trip. The gentle waves slapping the side of the ship as the roar of the massive engines behind us gave me a sense of euphoria. I sat in my chair, only to look to my left, watching an old Chinese man sleeping in his chair, with the windows next to him and a 6 foot in circumference padding buoy tied tightly to the outside, obstructing most of the sea viewing window. Not a noise was heard over the humming of the engine, slipping into my seat I sank into a deep sleep… Of course I did eat a little snack and enjoyed “Shrek” being played right in front of me for a few minutes before I slept. The boat rocked in the sea, the people rested in it’s gentle throw, The head was used, and the people unenthused.

   I woke quickly to a startling tap on my shoulder and vaguely heard a voice utter “Were here”. I never noticed that the boat turned to dock and was ready to unload everyone. All of us quickly got up and got off the boat, my left leg trying to wake up  as well.

   Walking through the outdoor hallways and passing through customs, we nabbed our bags quickly and got in a waiting van. As we were being ushered from the government facility, all of us were commenting on the color coordinated family packed on a motorcycle, that’s right, 5 people on a two person motorcycle; we all wish we had a camera.
   
   Travelling to our final destination, stopping only for a random doughnut break, we zoomed through the countryside passing every available motorcycle and nearly endangering our lives multiple times in transit. It was so beautiful to drive by the ocean, the red clay deposits that consumed the island combined with the many palm trees created a very unique travel experience. I found out later that some of the palm trees that had no head on them were struck by lightning, and there were a lot of palm trees that looked like sticks coming out of the ground.

   Once we got to our place of ministry we were all VERY shocked at where it was and the quality of which the venue was being held. The 2 story resort was touching the south china sea, and the view from the sea from anywhere in the complex was nothing short of beautiful. Rocks grouped on one side of the island accented the alien sunset on the horizon; peppered with little islands. We had a few hours to prepare for the session that was going to happen that night. I couldn’t help but look out into that peaceful landscape and love Gods creation, that He could make something that beautiful and say “This is for you because I love you, but there’s so much more you haven’t seen”.

   It was a blast spending time in the rock formations, digging through a narrow passage between rocks, and running around with local kids from the island hiking around the rocks who spoke no more English than "spider-man" and "the hulk" which was pronounced "Hulek" by their tongue.
   
   The days that followed were full of ministry and food, but it was quickly evident that there was a language barrier in place, and I HATED IT! It’s so hard to talk to the “next generation” speaking an entirely different language halfway around the world. It was very strange to again feel like the minority in society.

   There was a moment when I stepped my first foot in the sea, the warm bath water sensation and familiar aroma of salt water that I cherished as a youth. It was easy to jump in the sea, unlike the cold snow runoff of western Montana, this sea was alive. The sea floor was living and nearly moving with animals of many kinds, from those with little fins swimming to those with shells and claws on the bottom, there was always movement. I snorkeled on the cloudy coast of this place, looking for sunken treasure at first, then finally being mesmerized by a single fish the size of my pinky that dug a hole for itself in the sand and decorated around it many small shells, it would pop out when I moved, so you can just imagine how much entertainment I got, at the fishes expense.

   During one of the many ministry times we had there, we had the youth fill out “lie cards” which basically are cards that people fill out stating what lies they believe, and all of them are deep rooted, painful things. As I was taking the cards from the youth as they finished, there were 2 times that I felt like God was telling me to “look at this card” so I dog eared the 2 the Lord prompted me to view and continued my job as “lie collector”.

   The last night we were there, I was finally able to talk with one of the 2 people God told me read their “lie cards” He had 3 lies written down, and I addressed all 3. I will put a * by the lies addressed.

 Using the translator, I said:
“Out of everyone, there were only 2 people God wanted me to talk to, and that makes you special"
"And, God told me to read the lie card you wrote”

(His face turned to an embarrassed pain)

“As I read the card, I realized why I was supposed to read it”
“It’s because we have gone through so much of the same thing”

(Now he was listening)

“I know what it’s like to be called names*, to be called a queer, and be so angry at others. I know how much it hurts when people say those things and you cant get it out of your head… you feel like a failure without a destiny*. ”

(He was holding back tears and moving from side to side)

“God made you special for this time, you are important and I want to let you know that you can do it, it really hurts at times, but you need to guard your heart like a shield, let God show you who you are, not others. There’s a lot of people here who know you and love you, they WILL help you through this, don’t be afraid to talk to people you trust. You will never be abandoned*, because you are surrounded by people who again, love you. Remember that.

(He was now crying hard with tears rolling down his face, trying not to sob)

“I want to give you a coin so that you remember everything I just said, and everything you learned at camp this year.”

   I gave him a coin, and asked the translator if it was ok for me to give him a hug (literally asking for permission) after gaining permission, I asked the boy through the translator if I could Give him a hug, and he said yes, and I literally picked him up and twirled him around a few times, the translator laughing at my type of hug. I had the translator tell the boy “Remember what God did at camp” and we went our way.
Leaving almost abruptly the next day, I left with a smile on my face and an appreciation for being obedient to what my mission is here in Asia.
   1. Protect everyone
2.      2. Carry heavy stuff
3.      3. Help with setting up books
4.      4. Focus on the details
5.      5. Over communicate

No comments: